About the EEG Visualization and Music Conversion Tool
This tool transforms EEG (electroencephalogram) data into both visual and auditory
experiences. This application allows users to explore the complex world of brain waves through interactive
graphs and music generated from EEG readings.
How It Works
The tool reads EEG data, consisting of 16 channels, and processes it to display in both time
and frequency domains. Users can select specific channels, adjust the window size, and apply various filters to
analyze the data more effectively. Furthermore, a unique feature translates these brain waves into music, offering a
new dimension to EEG analysis.
Scroll through the EEG data using the the large scroll bar, and listen to how different sections of the EEG data sound.
Select the channel and time window you wish to analyze, and watch the graphs update in real time.
Toggle the 'Auto Volume' and 'Auto Duration' options to automatically adjust the volume and duration of the
auditory output based on the EEG data.
Optionally, you can apply filters to isolate specific EEG components and observe the changes in the graphs.
- Interactive Graphs: Visualize EEG data in real-time with options to adjust channels and
- EEG to Music Conversion: Experience EEG data audibly by converting waveforms into
- Customizable Filters: Apply different filters like wavelet denoise and bandpass to
isolate specific EEG components.
- Auto Volume and Duration: Dynamically adjust the volume and duration of the auditory
output based on the EEG data.
- File Scroll Bar: A horizontal scroll bar allowing users to traverse through the EEG
data file seamlessly.
- Channel Selector: Select from 16 channels. Channels 0-7 correspond to the left
hemisphere EEG, while channels 8-15 pertain to the right hemisphere EEG.
- Window Size Selector: Enables users to zoom in and out on the EEG data. The range
varies from 1 to 60 seconds, with a default of 10 seconds.
- Detrend Toggle: Removes DC using a linear wavelet. This feature is crucial for ensuring
clear, uninterrupted EEG data visualization and is turned on by default.
- Filter Order Selector: Choose from 1 to 4 to adjust the sharpness of the band filters.
By default, the setting is at 2.
- Whole Spectrum Toggle: This overlays the non-filtered spectrum, highlighting
frequencies below 0.5 Hz and above 30 Hz.
- Frequency Scale Selector: Adjust between Linear and Log scales for a more comprehensive
view of the EEG data in the frequency domain.
- Raw Signal Chart (Time Domain): Witness the EEG signals in their raw, unfiltered form.
- Spectrum Chart (Frequency Domain): Dive deep into the filtered EEG signals, categorized
under Delta (0.5-4 Hz), Theta (4-8 Hz), Alpha (8-13 Hz), and Beta (13-30 Hz) bands. If the 'Whole
Spectrum' feature is toggled on, additional insights into frequencies below 0.5 Hz and above 30 Hz will
This application utilizes intracranial EEG data from NeuroVista, available on www.ieeg.org.
By transforming EEG data into sound, this application offers a profound understanding of the
underlying neural activities. Whether you're a researcher, student, or just curious, the tool will provide
invaluable insights into the intricacies of EEG recordings using sound.